// *** BEGIN *** Google Analytics Code // *** END *** Google Analytics Code
Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Creating a lawn

Creating a lawn 4 years ago #111

• Kateresa
  • Fresh Boarder
I am trying to create a lawn from a Nutrient Agar plate and when I follow all the steps, it doesn't work. It keeps telling me that it is contaminated and won't give me the option to select the antibiotic paper when I right click on the plate after transfer. It only gives me the option to replace caps/lids. Is it possible that there is some type of glitch in the program? Help please!

Re: Creating a lawn 4 years ago #112

• gwilson
I was unable to recreate your problem. Here are the steps I followed:
1. I created a new unknown and chose Gram Positive Coccus for the subgroup. Making lawns for antibiotic testing is only available for Gram Positive bacteria.
2. After the Case Study and Gram stain, I chose nutrient agar plate from the media list.
3. I selected the swab as the inoculation tool. Swabs are only available for Gram positive bacteria because it is with them we create lawns for antibiotic testing.
4. I started the Bunsen burner.
5. I right-clicked to remove the cap/lid from tube and plate.
6. I dragged the inoculum tube to the burner to "flame it". A popup message told me it had been done.
7. I put the swab into the tube of inoculum, passing the tip of the swab through the mouth of the tube and down into the broth. A popup message told me I had stabbed the inoculum.
8. I swabbed the agar back and forth several times and the plate changed in appearance (took only a matter of seconds).
9. I right-clicked on the plate and selected the desired antibiotic disk from the list. It appeared on the plate.
10. I dragged the inoculum back through the flame again to flame the mouth of the inoculum tube. A popup told me I'd done it.
11. I right clicked on the plate and replaced the cap/lid. When I checked the two traffic signals at the top right, I found two green lights.
12. I turned off the burner and put the plate in the incubator.

If you follow these steps you should get the same result.

Re: Creating a lawn 3 years, 8 months ago #126

• gwilson
In VUMIE, lawns are only created when testing for antibiotic resistance. The only time that is called for (or allowed) in the software is when your unkown is a Gram positive coccus. So if you have a Gram negative rod as your unknown, you will be unable to create a lawn. We do this because the software loads tests based on the assigned microbe, allowing appropriate tests and not including tests not called for by the matrix. Therefore, be sure you have a Gram positive coccus assigned by the software before attempting an antibiotic sensitivity test.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 5.73 seconds

Registered User Login